For the latest information always use reliable and official sources such as the Government’s website and the NHS on the links below:
- Government’s latest advice and guidance on Coronavirus
- NHS Information & Advice on Covid-19
- Download the NHS Covid-19 App
- Get tested for Covid-19
- Check the number of cases in your area
- Covid-19 vaccination rollout in Thame
- Council Services & Information
- Local Covid-19 Support Services & Contacts
- Health Support & Prescriptions
- Support For Businesses and Self-Employed
- Food Support, Supermarket Priority Hours & Meal Deliveries
- Financial Support
- Activities For Children and Activities For Adults
- Scams to be aware of & Crime Prevention tips
- Event and Venue Opening Updates
- How can I help?
Rycote Practice (at 14 October 2021)
Thank you to all patients who attended our Flu and Covid Booster clinic on Saturday 9 October. Arriving exactly at your appointment time and wearing clothing that made arms easily accessible ensured that we were able to run an efficient clinic and avoided long queues. Thank you also to those who chose to walk rather than drive as this helped to ensure that the car park was not too busy.
The Rycote Practice is expecting to receive further flu deliveries next week. We are focussing on Over 65s in the first instance and are prioritising patients who are due their Covid booster (3rd dose) in October – those who had their second dose in April. If you fall into this category, please call the practice to book on 01844 261066. We have further vaccination clinics planned on the morning of Saturday 16 October, the afternoon of Tuesday 19 October and the morning of Saturday 30 October. Those who are less than 5 months since their second Covid vaccination will be offered the flu vaccination and the Covid booster at a later stage.
We are also seeking clarification on deliveries of flu vaccines for under 65 years at risk and those in need of a third primary Covid vaccination. We have a small number of vaccines that we can offer to these patients at our upcoming clinics and will be providing information about further vaccination appointments as soon as we are able to.
As your local GP Practice, we would strongly encourage you to receive both a seasonal flu vaccination and a Covid booster as soon as you can. Locally Covid infection rates are currently at 75% of the January peak – we are confident that these vaccinations will offer you excellent protection against both of these dangerous illnesses.
Thank you for your support and cooperation – this vaccination programme requires considerable additional commitment from our staff and you words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.
Unity Health (at 3 October 2021)
Over the last couple of days we have been busy setting up Risborough Community Centre to be used as our vaccination centre. We have also sent out of first batch of booster invitations.We will be sending the invitations out in accordance with the NHS guidelines, starting with those with particular underlying health conditions and those aged 80 or over. The cohorts and categories remain the same as those used with the initial (1st and 2nds dose) COVID vaccination invites.If you have received a text invitation and are unable to book using your mobile phone, please type the link into a desktop computer or you can always forward your text invitation to someone else to book the appointment on your behalf.We will be calling all patients who do not have a mobile number on their medical record. We will then call those who have not responded to their text invitation from us, but these will not be a priority, so please try your best to book using the link we have sent.If you have already had your boost vaccination or have booked into another centre, please decline our invitation using the link the invitation text.You cannot have the COVID booster within 7days of receiving a shingles vaccine. Please do not panic, we will have several clinics each week so you will not be missed.Please try to resist calling reception to book a COVID booster vaccination appointment, they do not have access to the vaccination appointment book. We have purely kept this away from reception, to allow them to continue be available for the usual day to day surgery matters.Thank you for your cooperation.
Council Services & Information
To contact Thame Town Council for any assistance, please email (email@example.com) or call 01844 212833 (this number is monitored during our standard office hours).
- Thame Information Centre and Town Hall are now open Mondays/Tuesdays/Wednesdays 9am to 4:30pm, Thursdays 10am-4:30pm, and Friday 9am-4pm. We are closed daily 12:30pm-1:30pm.
- Thame Market – For the latest updates, visit the Thame Tuesday Charter Market Facebook page.
- Skate Park, Play Areas, Parks and Open Spaces – all are open. The equipment is not cleaned, so please regularly wash your hands, avoid touching your face and do not allow children to touch it with their mouths. Please maintain social distancing at all times – come back later if it is busy.
- Council Meetings – All council and committee meetings are now being held in person at the Town Hall. Please keep up to date with future Council meeting dates by visiting our schedule of meetings and checking the agendas for venue / capacity details.
- Councillor Drop-In – our monthly Councillor Drop-Ins have not yet resumed. If you would like to speak to a Councillor, you can find their contact details on our website, or contact a Councillor using the webform.
- High Street Recovery Plan – Thame Town Council has put together a plan to help the High Street recover, and you are encouraged to read and comment on it.
The Town Council will do all it can to support its local community and businesses, so please do contact us on the above information if you need help.
Below is a list of useful numbers and local support services, and make sure to check out the links to the Useful and Emergency Contacts pages too.
Support during Covid-19
Age UK Oxfordshire – 01865 411 288. Telephone support service including a friendly, regular weekly call to see how people are and offer advice if needed.
Thame Phone Support Line – 0330 022 1441. For residents of Thame who need support with food shopping and prescription collections or would like a friendly chat. The phone line is supported by the Thame Good Neighbour Scheme and Love Thame Helpers.
NHS Volunteer Responders – 0808 196 3646. A Government initiative to assist those self-isolating, shielding or needing extra support.
Citizens Advice – the team are able to offer advice over the phone on 0808 278 7907 (freephone) or by email firstname.lastname@example.org between 9am and 5pm on weekdays. You can also visit their website for advice related to Covid-19 and employment, as well as universal credit, benefits and scams.
Online Child Abuse Support Services – Reports of online child sexual abuse in the Thames Valley area were 146% higher in March 2020 in comparison with March 2019.
Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Services – free advice: 0800 731 0055 (Mon-Fri 10am-7pm), or the 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247.
Debt Support [PDF] – Christians Against Poverty (CAP) has opened a Debt Centre in partnership with Grace Church Thame and the support of all the churches in Thame. Call 0800 328 0006, Monday – Friday.
Victims First offer a range of support services for victims of crime or abuse.
- Barley Hill Church
- Cornerstone Thame
- Grace Church Thame
- St Mary’s Church Thame
- St Joseph’s Catholic Church
NHS ‘Health at Home’ has lots of useful information on how to order repeat prescriptions, contact your GP, find out about urgent dental treatment, manage long-term conditions and maintain your mental and physical well-being.
Call: 01844 261066
Rycote Practice – Facebook updates
Call: 01844 212553
Unity Health – Facebook updates
Looking after yourself – these are unprecedented times and it is normal to feel anxious, stressed or worried, but it is important to take care of yourself during this time. Check out the Activities for Adults and Activities for Children sections of this page for resources and ideas. Exercise videos for the elderly – Generation Games (part of Age UK Oxfordshire) have uploaded exercise videos specifically for the elderly.
To protect yourself and others, always follow government Covid-19 guidance on social distancing and face masks, and observe good personal hygiene at all times.
Covid-19 symptoms? You must stay at home if you have Covid-19 symptoms. Do not leave the house except to get a covid-19 test.
- Get advice & check your symptoms via NHS online
- Coronavirus, flu or cold? Use this graphic to identify the different symptoms & their frequency [JPEG]
- Book an NHS covid-19 test
Other medical conditions? Many non-urgent services, routine operations, referrals and outpatient appointments were cancelled during the Covid-19 outbreak, but most have since resumed – contact your GP for the latest update. If you have symptoms that you would normally speak to your GP about, do not hesitate to contact your GP (by phone/online). Necessary consultation will take place either online, by telephone or video link and some may take place face-to-face with appropriate safety measures in place.
Do NOT order medication more than 2 weeks before you run out.
Boots will deliver prescriptions to those:
that have a NHS shielding letter
that have a GP letter to advise them to self-isolate
with Covid symptoms
If this applies to you, call Boots High Street (01844 213882) or East Street (01844 218248) to arrange delivery.
The Love Thame Helpers will continue to deliver urgent medication and prescriptions for those who do not fall into one of the above categories. Call 0330 022 1441 or complete the Google Form to request prescription collection and delivery requests. The delivery team have been DBS checked and have strict protocols to manage the deliveries which protect them and you.
Prescriptions will be sent to your nominated Pharmacy – inform your GP practice which pharmacy you would like this sent to. (Note: Unity Health will automatically send to Boots High Street unless you told them otherwise). Boots offer a text alert service which you can sign-up to to be notified when your prescription is ready to collect.
Prescription Delivery to your home?
- Boots Pharmacy and Pharmacy2U allow you to order repeat prescriptions directly without being registered with your doctor’s online services (these are only available to Rycote Practice patients at present)
- JMW Vicary Pharmacy, Haddenham, also deliver. They will telephone you to prepay (where relevant) and then arrange a delivery to your door. 01844 291 960.
Other Health Support
- See also the Support & Advice Services section of this page
- Move Together – a brand new scheme for Oxfordshire and is here to support you to move more, to help improve your physical health, mental health and wellbeing, particularly if this has been negatively impacted by Covid-19.
- Mental Health Helpline for Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire (Adults: 01865 904 997, Children and young people: 01865 904 998) – a partnership with Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust and TalkingSpace Plus. It is open 24/7 and will direct people to the right mental health support to take pressure off NHS 111.
- Hospital visits – to protect patients and staff, Oxford University Hospitals have announced measures for visiting.
- Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust services at Thame Community Hub. View the information video on the steps taken by Bucks Healthcare NHS Trust in response to Covid-19.
- Sign up for the Town Council’s Business Newsletter for monthly updates.
- Browse local businesses and list your own for free on the Shop OX9 Directory & Guide
- Thame Town Centre Covid-19 Recovery Action Plan – your thoughts are welcome and can be submitted via the survey at the bottom of the Action Plan page.
- South & Vale Business Support (SVBS) – Financial Support
- SVBS Resources for Businesses
- Contact SODC’s Economic Development Team – 01235 422208 or email@example.com
- Government covid-19 business support and guidance
- Self-Employed Helpline – call 0300 456 3565 for advice from HMRC on tax and benefits assistance
- Government business grants and financial support
If you would like to help the Thame Foodbank, you can download the Foodbank app to your phone, and select ‘Sharing Life Trust’ to see the current list of needed items locally. If you need support from the Foodbank, please call 0300 201 0212 or 07541 299010, or visit the Sharing Life Trust website.
Sharing Life Trust have launched a Community Larder for Thame. This will provide a way to access staple food, reduce food waste and improve the well-being of residents.
There are lots of businesses locally who are offering a delivery service from their restaurants, cafes and butchers. Thame Rewards Club has posted a handy guide of the known businesses.
Chinnor Rugby Club are trialling a new service to provide free homemade hot meals to the elderly and vulnerable of Thame and Chinnor. This new venture is based at the catering facility already on site and funded by the club’s sponsors and delivered by volunteers on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you, or anyone you know, would benefit from a free homemade meal delivered to your door, please in the email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are some of the funding streams the Town Council is aware of, which are available for community organisations and individuals to apply to. Note that some funding applications below may be temporarily paused / being reviewed.
Creative / Sport
Community Groups / Organisations and Charities
- Oxfordshire All In list of resources & networks for community support groups.
- Charity Bank – a list of emergency funds for charities and social enterprises that are experiencing difficulties.
- Civil Society – a list of funding available for charities.
- National Lottery Awards for All – Grant funding between £300 and £10,000 for voluntary / community organisations in England who are supporting people at high risk or communities facing challenges as a result of Covid-19 measures.
Each school will have their own Covid-19 arrangements as well as online resources and facilities, so for the latest information please check their websites below. Parent-mail / newsletters will be the main way in which the school communicates with its parents so check your emails too.
- Barley Hill Primary School
- John Hampden Primary School
- Lord Williams’s School
- St Joseph’s Primary School
Ideas for School at Home
- Daily lessons for primary, secondary and students aged 16+ on BBC Bitesize
- P.E. Classes with Joe Wicks (The Body Coach) on YouTube
- Oxford Owl – English, Reading and Maths activities
- Quizzes and activities by Thame Museum
- Colouring In ‘Thank You’s’
- Check out Little Ankle Biters comprehensive list of ideas of activities to keep little ones busy and stay healthy.
- Download park-related activities from Fields in Trust including tree spotting guide, quizzes and bug hunting! They are also bringing parks to you by offering virtual tours of parks across the UK
- NHS exercises to do at home including strengthening activities and workout videos
- Discover thousands of arts and culture creations and venues online (via Google)
- Join the new Virtual Community Choir set up by a Thame resident – email email@example.com for information.
- Borrow a book from Thame Library
- Attend an online talk at Thame Museum, covering a wide range of topics such as history, the environment and culture.
- Walk the Thame Outer Circuit or Thame Inner Circuit
Covid-19 Vaccine Scams
Residents are urged to be on their guard against scammers using the promise of a coronavirus vaccine to con them out of money. Criminals across the country are contacting people out of the blue with offers of a coronavirus vaccination. These approaches have been made by text or from a recorded voice message on the telephone. In each case the recipient is required to respond by clicking a link in the text message or by pressing 1 when receiving the call. They are then asked to give personal information, as well as financial details to book their vaccination. However, these are scams, with criminals exploiting the pandemic to attempt to steal personal details and people’s money. The NHS is currently offering the COVID-19 vaccine free of charge to people most at risk from coronavirus. These people will be contacted by the NHS.
- Scammers who try to get you to pay them money for ‘early access’ to the vaccine.
- Scammers who ask for private information such as bank account details or your NHS number.
- Scammers knocking on your door claiming they can get you early access to the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Vaccine-themed phishing campaigns from suspicious email addresses with hyperlinks that contain misspelled domain names.
- Highly emotive language designed to manipulate you; do not supply login credentials or personal information in response to an email.
Steps to avoid being caught by a scam
- Monitor key financial accounts regularly.
- Keep software and apps updated.
- If you get a suspicious text asking you to click on a link this could be a scam. Do not click on the link.
- If you receive a recorded voice message on your phone and are asked to press a number, this could be a scam. Do not press any buttons and do not call the number back.
- Report all scams via Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 223 1133.
Before clicking on a link or providing your personal details, stop and ‘take five’. Never be afraid to delete the text, put the phone down or close the door. To find out more about how scams work, the harm they cause and how you can help to protect people in your community, consider becoming a Friend Against Scams and read about the ‘Take 5’ campaign.
Good news – many events have confirmed they are going ahead this year! See the upcoming calendar of events below:
Please check the respective websites of the following organisations for their Covid-19 re-opening policies:
- Thame Players Theatre
- Thame Museum
- Thame Senior Friendship Centre
- Thame Youth Café
- Midsomer Murder Tours
- NHS Volunteer Responders
- Thame’s Foodbank and Community Larder, both run by Sharing Life Trust
- Thame Good Neighbour Scheme
- Find volunteering opportunities in Thame through the Love Thame Helpers Facebook Group and in Oxfordshire via Oxfordshire All In
- Volunteers are needed to assist with the new free homemade hot meal delivery service for the elderly and vulnerable of Thame and Chinnor using Chinnor Rugby Club’s catering facilities. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Donate unneeded Oxfordshire NRS loaned equipment. Details of the scheme and examples of loaned equipment [JPEG].
- Sew items for NHS Staff and face masks – join the ‘A Stitch in Thame’ Facebook Group who are coordinating efforts locally.