25 October 2016 – Agenda


TO: All Members of the Community, Leisure and Recreation Committee

Cllrs D Butler, N Champken-Woods (Chairman), P Cowell, M Deacock, M Dyer, C Jones, P Lambert, M Stiles (Deputy Chairman) and T Wyse

Ex Officio (Voting) Members – L Emery (Town Mayor) and N Dixon (Deputy Mayor)

To:           All other Members for information

VENUE: Upper Chamber, Thame Town Hall

DATE: Tuesday 25 October 2016

TIME: 6.30 pm (maximum two hours)


Graham Hunt
Clerk of the Council

Date: 19 October 2016



1. Apologies for Absence

2. Declarations of Interest and Dispensations

To notify of any items that appear in the agenda in which there may be an interest that has not been recorded in the Member’s Register of Interest; and confirmation of any relevant dispensations.

3. Public Participation and Public Questions

To consider applications from members of the public to address the Committee (5 minutes maximum), in respect of any item of business included in the agenda. Applications to speak must have been received by the Town Clerk no later than 5pm on the last working day preceding the meeting.

To consider questions from members of the public (who live, work or run a business in the Parish). Written questions must have been received by the Town Clerk no later than 4pm on the last working day preceding the meeting.

4. Thame Town Live Music Festival

Further to the e-mail circulated to Councillors on 3 October 2016, to receive a presentation from Jon Littler on a proposal to organise and run a Thame Town Live Music Festival in several venues in Thame on Saturday 8th July 2017. The proposal will detail the project, its objectives, organisation and governance together with the help and support being sought from Thame Town Council. After relevant Q&A, to consider next steps.

5. Minutes

To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the Committee meeting held on 26 July 2016.


6. Budget Summary

To monitor actual income and expenditure against estimates.

Budget Summary

7. Reports from Representatives on External Organisations

To receive reports from the nominated representatives on:

a) Cuttle Brook Management Comm. (Cllrs Jones and Stiles)
b) Thame Carnival Committee (Cllr Emery)
c) Thame Football Partnership (Cllr Dyer)
d) Twinning Association (Cllr Butler)
e) Thame Good Neighbour Scheme (Cllr Midwinter)
f) Thame Town Cricket Club (Cllr Champken-Woods)
g) Chinnor RFC (Cllrs Bretherton and Dixon)
h) Music in the Park (Cllr Stiles)
i) Red Kite Children’s Centre (Cllrs Stiles and Wyse)
j) Sinaia Friendship Association (Cllr Bretherton)
k) Thame Museum Trust (Cllrs Butler and Emery)
l) Thame Remembers (Cllrs Bretherton and Dyer)
m) Towersey Festival (Cllrs Bretherton and Lambert)

Report – External Organisations

8. Red Kite Children’s Centre

To receive an update from Cllr Mary Stiles, Cllr Tom Wyse and John Hulett on the current situation and any progress that has been made for provision in the future following discussions with key community groups.

9. Thame Day Centre

To receive an update from Cllr Nigel Champken-Woods on the current situation and any progress that has been made for provision in the future following discussions with key community groups.

10. Church Meadow – Telecoms Apparatus

To discuss the letter (and included further information) received from Shared Access and circulated to Councillors on 19 September 2016 regarding a proposal to install telecoms apparatus at the cricket ground, Church Meadow.

To agree an outline (and key points) of any response, or any other appropriate next steps.

Report – Church Meadow Cricket Ground

Letter – Shared Access

11. Town Flag

Now that the web-site and branding project is complete, and a new flag pole has been installed that remains empty most of the year, it is appropriate to consider the relevance or otherwise of a formal Town Flag and if relevant, agree how to progress.

Report – Town Flag

12. Flag Flying

To consider and agree a revised Flag Flying Policy.

Flag Flying Policy

13. World Village Market

To consider holding a World Village Market around the Town Hall over three days in spring (April/May/June) 2017, probably 21-23 April 2017.

Report – World Village Market

Appendix 1

Appendix 2

14. Continental Markets

To agree the dates for the Italian and French markets in March and October 2017.

Report – Continental Markets

Appendix 1

Appendix 2

15. Music in the Park

To agree to the closure of Elms Park on 30 April 2017 and event support arrangements for Music in the Park.

Report – Music in the Park

16. Thame Carnival

To agree the operational support and associated expenditure to assist with event preparations for the Carnival on 10 June.

Report – Thame Carnival

17. Christmas Event

To receive an update on arrangements for the Christmas Event.

Report – Christmas Event

Appendix 1

Appendix 2

18. Open Spaces Working Group / Elms Park Improvements

To receive a verbal update.


Appendix 1

Appendix 2

19. Priest End Allotments to Burial Space

To receive a verbal update.


20. Cricket Club Clubhouse Redevelopment

To receive a verbal update.


21. Thame Fairs 2016

To receive a verbal update on the September and October Fairs.

To nominate three Councillors to assist in the renewal of the fair agreement.


Appendix 1

Appendix 2

22. Thame Shed

To note that following a successful open meeting in Thame Town Hall supported by an enthusiastic group of would be ‘shedders’, a Steering Group has been formed and has met to plan the way forward and make Thame Shed a reality, a place where men and women who either don’t or no longer work, can engage in practical activity, creating, making, mending, refurbishing and sharing their skills in the companionship of others.

23. Drainage / Central Footpath Work – Upper High Street

To note that the proposed work to replace the central footpath on the Upper High Street as noted at the last meeting commenced on 14 October 2016 – with a delay due to the contractors being delayed on site elsewhere. This has been a complex project with many implications to be managed. Updates have been provided by e-mail on 20 September 2016 and 11 October 2016. The work will now also include the re-establishment of the asphalt patches at the car park kerb face that are proud and causing the surface water to pond at the interface of the patch and existing surface. This will permit the reshaping of the surface area in front of the car park kerb face to ensure any surface water is encouraged to flow to and through the drainage units under the footway to discharge in the channel in the High Street. It is anticipated that the work will be completed within three weeks dependent on any unforeseen circumstances.

24. Armistice Day & Remembrance Service

To note the following dates – Armistice Day, Friday 11 November 2016, 10.55am assemble outside the Town Hall for the Act of Remembrance, led by the Town Mayor. Remembrance Service, Sunday 13 November 2016, 10.30am assemble in car park at Town Hall ready to process to the Memorial Gardens.

25. Town Awards

To note the presentation of the Town Awards will take place on 4 May 2017 at The Thame Barns Centre.

26. Charity Fair

In order to ensure continuity, to note that Cllrs Emery, Dixon and Midwinter have taken on responsibility this year, on behalf of the Town Council, for the organisation of the annual Charity Fair that used to be run by ex-Councillors Beatrice Dobie and David Laver. Minimal officer support as required will be provided to help ensure success. Following this year’s event on 5 November 2016 it is expected that the three Councillors will make recommendations for longer term ownership.

27. Kimblewick Hunt

Following the successful meeting back in the town centre last year, to note that the Kimblewick Hunt will once again commence their Meet in the Upper High Street car park on Monday 2 January 2017.


28. Maintenance Report

To note the report.


29. Music in the Park / Friends of Elms Park

Officially arrived too late for the agenda, but if time, to note the letter as received from the Chairman of Friends of Elms Park and to consider next steps.

If no time, to delay until Council meeting on 15 November 2016.